Friday, February 26, 2021

Guard & gates

Was restless, decided to give this one a makeover:

  1. Mint pickguard. Added contrast, together with the burst body, it now has a Strat vibe. Wasn't going for that but it happened.
  2. New pickups: Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates set. Had second thoughts initially knowing how bright the PG could be & my Mira here isn't a full solid instrument so it might go into treble overkill but it didn't happen. The PG has good clarity with a rather spongey overall tone, close to what a Custom Custom has to offer.

Fresh strings while I'm at it.

But this is my main highlight for now; the guitar is F-spaced / Trembucker-spaced. We assume guitars with fixed bridge, tune-o-matic, hard tail & other iterations that don't whammy, to manifest standard spacing instead but this proves otherwise. There shouldn't be convenient assumptions any more, measure & know your instrument's features, it doesn't take much effort.

2 comments:

Devan PRS said...

nice i am currently doing this exact upgrade to my mira. I am putting on the pearly gate buckers and thought about throwing in a mint pick guard.

My mira came stock with GB pick up co's i am hoping for a massive improvement

are you still liking everything on it? any advice for installation should be doing that this weekend.

subversion.sg said...

Good day, my friend. Apologies for the delayed reply. Do you have any other SD pickup considerations besides the PG? My MIRA here is a semi-hollow version (more accurately, it's chambered) - no idea if yours is likewise. My experience with the PG is that it's a very bright-sounding humbucker & might not suit some players' needs. As for me, the PG is awesome for metal🤘🏼