Sunday, March 21, 2021

My D


This is my Ibanez RGD321. Yes, it's the RGD 3-series before they phased it out to make way for the RGD 4-series. The latter features a toggle selector as opposed to this lever type. They did away with the tone knob as well & the fretboard markers are the simple dots. For something that dwells in the lower tuning domain, removing the tone control is a wise move. I can't really think of an application where a boomy sounding guitar would benefit from a tone control that is rolled down; it takes away clarity. 


Just last week, Beez helped me replace the above dead components:
  • Capacitor: It was leaking from one of its tip. Maybe it was cut a little too short. Maybe it was punctured while I tried to snip it off the tone pot. Whatever the case might be, it had to go.
  • 3-Way selector switch: It worked after I gave it the contact spray treatment but subsequently, it was stuck. You can see the amount of corrosion there on one of the plate surface. We shouldn't bother saving such things.
  • Tone pot (push-pull coil split): Despite looking OK, it's actually dead; could not rotate, failed to pull up as well

After everything is in place, it's a fresh set of strings for the RGD. I am a D'Addario fan. I would digress from time to time but always return to the familiar & trusted feel & performance. Why owning an extended scale length guitar (26.5") is a plus for me:
  • It allows me to detune the instrument with less set up issues when dealing with a thicker set of strings
  • Allows me to be more riff/song-oriented instead of solos
  • I play tapped notes better on such guitars
  • No lower string action focus - it's the action that gets the job done
  • Incorporate more open strings into playing ideas

No comments: