Sunday, March 26, 2023

7 again


Every now & then, I will be yearning to hear lower tunings or play a 7-string guitar. Many people are of the opinion that it requires a re-learn when dealing with an extra string on the guitar. As for me, I see the 7-string as a 6 with an extra. I tend to isolate the 7th string's existence. It's like an extra kid in the team with a special need & will be treated as special from start to end but he's still part of the team. That's the reason my mind don't get messed up with chords & stuff with an extra string on board; just play the 6 stuff, ignore the 7th.

Also, there is this psychology of easier playing. Many players feel the strings are located closer to compensate the overall spacing on the neck, hence the 'easier' feel. I don't really buy into this belief but I tend to agree because I'm not the type who hooks the thumb over the edge so I don't feel the wider neck impeding play; my hand wasn't stretched out to begin with.

No comments: