Thursday, February 14, 2008

First Fender: American Standard Telecaster


My first Fender is a 1997 American Standard Telecaster. I bought it (in 1998) as a challenge to myself; would I be able to play a guitar which is devoid of my fancied features? The tele was the perfect opposite of my Ibanez:
  • single cutaway body design
  • single coil pickups
  • lesser number of frets
  • non-locking nut/ bridge
  • no bevel/ chamfer to promote comfort fit
  • maple fretboard
  • non-slim neck

The Tele was indeed a challenge in the beginning, I had a hard time getting comfy with the thicker & rounder neck profile. The guitar's body edges kept digging into my ribs, the tuning was off rather quickly during play & the hum at high drive settings was annoying. Ironically, this guitar made me adapt & learn more about maintenance. It's also one to constantly remind me I'm cradling a no-frills guitar so all I have to offer while playing are good chops, otherwise it's the perfect implement to showcase one's incapacity.

When I subsequently bought a Strat, this Tele was resigned to accept my eccentric playing; the love for aggressive music. As evident from the current pickups on board, it's tinkered to accept more drive without being sonically repulsive. In fact, I subliminally challenged it to ferry my black metal inclinations because if it's as good as it's touted to be, it would rise to the occassion. Verdict: It's one of my favourite guitar for the genre. I have utmost respect for the brand name & what the 'Telecaster' name upholds; simplicity that withstood the test of time.

Current pickups on board:
  • Bridge: Hot Rails (for Tele)
  • Neck: Hot Rhythm

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

sorry if i hijack ur blog..
but i wanna ask, how much would a fender american standard telecaster cost first hand frm a shop??
thnx

subversion.sg said...

there's a current promo (Swee Lee) for the Am Std Strat/ Tele: $1,500