Sunday, February 17, 2008

Gibson: SG Special (Faded Edition)



This is my first, truly enjoyable Gibson; the manufacturer's name is legendary but it has limited appeal to me. The Faded SG has what I prefer- a non-gloss neck finish. I can't quite live with a gloss finish (but this didn't prevent me from getting a Les Paul/ PRS) as this overcoat gets cruddy over prolonged play especially if one's hands sweat excessively. I am also a big fan of satin finishes as this accentuates more midrange from the instruments natural resonance.



The guitar was originally equipped with Gibson's uncovered 490R pickups which didn't win any favour with my set up (especially so when it comes to single note clarity) & were very quickly replaced with Seymour Duncans: Custom 5 (b)/ Alnico II Pro (n). I find the SG (regardless of the variation) to be initially repulsive due to this playability factor- the neck's heavy nature neccessitates the player to hold it up while playing sitting down, otherwise it would kamikaze. Nevertheless, this Faded is a joy to play, certainly one of the more played guitars in my camp.

No comments: