Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Bloody Loveless

Does the above blurred, hypnotic, spectral album cover look familiar to you? If it does, it's probably because you own one- Loveless (My Bloody Valentine). For the past few days, I've been digging up my relegated CD collection to find out which individual had brought meaning to me, guitar-wise, in terms of anti-technical playing but still superbly appealing. There were many to choose from if you still adore the grunge guitar era but I choose to keep that point in time as a bandwagon fanfare; everyone drowning in the current hype without having a sense of purpose.

Guitarist Kevin Shields approach to playing in Loveless was reflective of an obsession, rather than giving the flavour of the time a chance to prove his worth- I can still remember reading the extent of effort he put into, in churning out Loveless; covering a mic-up VOX amp with a blanket just to capture that claustrophobic tone. This is quite impressionable to youngsters back then who simply wish to be different but I chose to listen to the whole Loveless offering before believing the heretical grandeur & it was worth it. As such, I remember Kevin & Loveless till today.

No comments: