Sunday, July 20, 2008

Gibson: The Gotoh overhaul

A quick wiring touch by Master BEEZ...

An approval by its Alien guardian...

... my LP Std is alive once more. It also marks the end of the Gotoh hardware overhaul- tuners (locking Magnum locks), tune-o-matic + hard tail; I'm happy with how things works out. Of course, LP purists would consider this desecration but I'm not obliged to retain parts which don't serve my needs. For owners of nickel plated hardware; be informed that the tarnish won't go away upon polishing; yes it'll shine but the tarnish remains resident. If you are after the relic look then nickel plating is best.

In use, the LP's overall tone is much richer in the midrage which is a good thing for me because I am in need of definition when plugging this guitar in (it's a PRS tip actually: keep your hardware light & your guitar will sing- how true). The rightful solution here would be to swap the pickups out for something richer in the aforementioned frequency but the Burstbuckers here are for keeps.

No comments: