Saturday, May 30, 2009

Fender Road Worn '50s Strat




I was at Swee Lee just days ago to try out the much heralded Road Worn series (I tried the '50s Strat), new by Fender this 2009.

  • This guitar is a relic on a budget (not quite the savings, though...) , the manufacturer has touted it be more toneful on grounds of condition- the worn in attributes allegedly make the guitar more soulful than any other unseasoned instrument.

  • Feel-wise, I really did feel the worn out surfaces on the body & neck areas; akin to handling an unfinished chair, fresh from IKEA. This is strictly a love/ hate affair, some of us welcome this rawness, others deem it repulsive. Nevertheless, it doesn't get in the way of playability unless of course, some of us get too affected by it that we break down. Be informed that the neck profile here is a mild V, unlike the contemporary Fenders we love to handle.

  • In the tone department, the default pickups are Fender's own Tex Mex units. As I am an all-out-distortion fan, it's rather disappointing that the single coils here can't do metal to save my life but on hidsight, the Tex Mexes weren't conceived to address this need. One can dial up a very feel-oriented blues crunch from this trio & that's pretty much the forte of this guitar. The cleans are Fender's typical, signature, crystaline twang but with less top-end bite, reflective of the vintage theme of this series of offerings.

It's a good instrument to own, the asking price could be more attractive...

What: Fender Road Worn '50s Strat
How much: $2,685 (list)
Where to get: Swee Lee

PS: Thanks ADAM TEOH @ BB Showroom for the try-out invitation.

3 comments:

Karen said...

Loved the IKEA furniture comparison =) 2,5K for a beaten-up guitar? No, thank you unless it`s a Rory Gallagher Strat replica=)))) For 2,5 one can get a vintage Tele from E-bay and scratch it with sandpaper to one`s liking=)

subversion.sg said...

agree bro- if there's gonna be any relic'ing, it has to be done by me, not someone else.

freddy said...

I saw a 60's Road Worn Fender Strat at my local guitar store today.

I am not a fan of relic'ing either. I have a couple of old guitars, but I take good care of them and they don't look road worn.

Having said this, the 60's Road Worn Stratocaster I saw today was white, with a pickguard that was brown around the edges. I kinda liked the look on that one.