Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Burger @ KL


Between KL's Pudu bus terminal & Petaling St is a cross junction. This gentleman here peddles his Ramly burger just next to the traffic light proximate to KK 24hrs minimart. If you've been to countless pasar malam in Singapore, you'd agree that there is this mystic appeal when it comes to Ramly burger; its seasonal availability means you would probably have a go at it while it lasts. 

I refer to him as Abang Botak (Bald Brother, literally) & his burger is compulsory consumption when I am in KL, regardless of my hotel residence. Abang Botak would begin proceedings after his sunset prayers, if you come earlier, you'd only see an abandoned washing point. The burgers on offer are variations of a familiar theme; egg is optional, there is also a double patty combo which is my personal favourite. 

Abang Botak is KL. The city wouldn't be complete without him, he's an enterprising figure amidst the city's hustle & bustle, an apt manifestation of a rapidly developing economy. I have utmost respect for individuals who chose to get by being their own bosses instead of participating in the conformist economy. As I stood by to watch him, I know he gets more work satisfaction than I do.

I need a new job, really. Going to work everyday & enjoying what you do makes a huge difference in wanting to continue life's cyclical rudimentary- earning a living. The moment I step into the office every day, I'd be looking forward to heading home, so where's the pride in doing the job, then?

8 comments:

LG said...

There are always choices... as well as opportunity costs.

By the way Bro... what's stopping you?

-
LG

LG said...

I got no idea how I became "Hi folks!"

Cheers,
LG

subversion.sg said...

employment opportunities- none available here...

ANONYMOUS said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
ANONYMOUS said...

dude how about opening a guitar shop? I'm sure you have more than enough knowledge about guitar gear and what will have mass appeal. You also have this blog which i bet hundreds if not thousands of local guitarists follow, which serves as a ready form of advertising in a way. So i dont think you'll be out of business that easily. sorry repost.

subversion.sg said...

That would be the natural discourse but majority of the brand names out there are being officially distributed so that leaves me with crumbs. If I have to start a sustainable business then I need to buy over many existing stores & that would upset many people :-)

RR said...

I am in the same situation as you,sub. I hope we both find a way out soon.

subversion.sg said...

the current job is ALRIGHT, nothing detrimental. but for people like me who would like to see myself rewarded for my efforts- this made me review my current profession.