Sunday, March 27, 2016

Re-string Sunday (& a little bit of re-set up)


Re-string therapy; giving a fresh set of La Bella (009s) to my Schecter KR. Did a little re-set up as well. 1) These days, I'm not after the lowest action for every guitar. I'm setting up according to their individual strength so to speak. I noticed that I play better with an arched string radius so even instruments sporting a flat fret radius received a little bit of curve. It's my picking hand posture, I tend to fumble if I try harder to pick those middle strings (G/D). 


2) There's also no obsession with straight necks. Yes, I do make it a point to look out for excessive bowing (because this affects playability) but if the instrument benefits from a slight relief then I would leave it as that. I noticed many of my thinner-necked models play great with this application, it could be attributed to the fact that I torture my thicker strings during rhythm play. That little bit of relief could be a crucial leeway in making individual notes ring more instead of rattling against the frets. 3) Pickup height- adjusted according to the respective strength. By strength here, I'm referring to both the magnetic pull & overall output. It used to be like, oh, it has to be the loudest for all pickups but we know there is a trade off between magnetic pull & sustain. Some of my neck pickups are also of higher output than its bridge counterpart so the height there should reflect the required volume during play, not the loudest I can manifest. 

Have a great Sunday, everyone- the final weekend of March :-)

1 comment:

Ijau D. Koceng said...

i feel more comfortable with compound radius type