Friday, April 15, 2016

Lil' hot


The weather- it's been a little too hot lately. I suspect even my cat is affected by the heat. But really, I'm talking about my Ibanez Talman TM302 here which is a little hot as well, as in: 

  • Bridge: Lil' 59 (ST59-1)
  • Neck: Hot Tele (STR-2)
The Lil' 59 is a little hotter than its full humbucker counterpart & doesn't sound as scooped; that's what I like about it. The STR-2 is really an overwound pickup with the right amount of poke & warmth, nothing too 'hot' as suggested by the label. Paired up, I get the benefit of a hum-cancelling bridge pickup so tremendous amount of drive isn't an issue here. This one retains its inherent '59 voicing- a good PAF tone without the charged character of a modern pickup. The STR-2 has no issue keeping up with the '59 in terms of voicing; it's as biting but stays put in its single coil territory. It's also very dependable in clean mode. 

No comments: