Saturday, April 27, 2019

Gibson LP Jr DC Tribute- first impression


After the recent surly encounter with a 2017 Gibson SG Standard, I was still in the hunt for a gift-to-self guitar. It must still be in the Gibson ballpark but the expectations are now much lower. It's no longer a case of looking at the upper tier offerings to prevent disappointment because disappointment itself is not defined by compromise exclusively. Even something from a noble standing could let you down. It's really about fulfilment & we all have a personal definition of what would let us down. The 2017 SG Standard had let me down & that was no second rate guitar by any means. It's just not meant to be & I have decided to look at something else. That something else ended up being the LP Junior DC Tribute model from the 2019 range you see above.


There's something about the brash P-90 tone that appealed to me lately. It became a fatal attraction after a tone tinkering episode where I managed to smoothen the top end to taste for my kind of music.  After much looking around, a P-90 equipped guitar was definitely not on my list but it made the cut for being good sounding despite the fact that I dislike Gibson pickups. The reality here is that Gibson's P-90 tone is way more appealing than the manufacturer's average humbucker. That was that & I was happy this happened.


Those small, button type tuners are certainly not my thing but a guitar of this profile doesn't look appealing with bigger ones. At the very least, they are not problematic & deserve to be where they are now.

I'm still looking into this instrument & scrutinizing some features. My initial encounter with it had been pleasant. More importantly, it sounded good with my set up & worth every cent.

No comments: