Wednesday, July 10, 2019

PMM re-visited


I re-purchased this not because I'm supporting the brand name or any commercial establishments in particular. In fact, I'm about to offload EHX pedals & only keep the essentials. They don't need my support. 

I foresee having a small pedal board-esque set up for some coarse-sounding, metal type tone. Something in the black metal domain but not an exclusive application. After spending some time listening to the slower but heavy stuff lately, the key ingredient to achieving this type of tone would be adding a dash of fuzz to it all. Me- I'm not the fuzz type but I admire some fuzz units because they are bona fide good pedals to begin with. Having a fuzz cascaded into hard distortion is something I'm trying to avoid but experience tells me that if there's a slightly fuzzy pedal without being a fuzz unit primarily, it would be something from the EHX family. The Metal Muff is an easy reference. 

Before you conclude (especially after reading all this) that the MM is a metal type of fuzz exclusively, it is essentially not. It's a distortion with a pronounced top end poke even when no top end enhancements are activated. When the top end is dialled in, that's when the MM manifests its fuzzy side of things. The Pocket MM is especially pronounced in this aspect & I couldn't really hear this extreme response in the original version. We should not brush aside the possibility that its smaller footprint means a smaller circuit board is in use & it excludes the contents of its bigger siblings, hence the differentiated performance despite having the same MM label. 

No comments: