Monday, July 22, 2019

Ugly ducklings


Quite a buzz in the Fender camp this Summer NAMM but here's something from its subsidiary Squier sector; the Starcaster. That's right folks, this model had been revived in the Squier range after leaving Fender's Modern Player series as once mentioned here: CLICK This is the most affordable take coming from the Affinity range.


Next in  line, in terms of price-to-feature considerations, the Classic Vibe version. 


Last but not least, the Contemporary Active version, still a semi but without the F-holes. With reference to the active pickups on board, this might be a swing at the high gainers among us but with that outline & a very psychedelic overall vibe, it's unclear which segment of the metal heads would embrace this.

I still can't get along with the Starcaster headstock outline, maybe it's just me. It took me a long time to come to terms with Fender's fat, 70s-style headstock & that was after telling myself it looks awesome when the instrument is in playing position. Tilt it upright & it screams spastic. We shouldn't dismiss these instruments for the looks, playability & tone count more than anything else when it comes to delivery. 

3 comments:

Ijau D. Koceng said...

"I still can't get along with the Starcaster headstock outline, maybe it's just me."

- agreed, #metoo

YusTech said...

I will not get along with the Starcaster headstock outline, for sure it's me.

subversion.sg said...

We are all in the same camp 😁👍