Monday, March 23, 2020

Psyched (3)


This was the pre-occupation yesterday. I was mostly indoors save for the lunch moment. Yes folks, I've souped up my PRS Vela since there's time to spare & pickups available. 


Both are Seymour Duncans: Seymourized Mini SM3N (N)/ Psyclone (B). Is the Psyclone that good that I need to hear it twice in two different guitars? You might have seen the Psyclone in my Gibson previously but I didn't get to hear the real Filtetron tone in action but then again, is there such a thing to begin with? This pickup type thrives in lighter guitars like a hollow/ semi-hollow unit to help accentuate that top end. It's about dealing with the sting not the boom. On the matter of weight, my Vela here is indeed a light guitar despite being a solid body. I made a calculated guess & went with the Psyclone, ta da! The tone has a sweeter sounding treble, crispy with loads of raw, old school black metal potential which was not part of the plan, of course. 


A set of 0095s while I'm at it. To sum up the past week - a little short-changed but totally happy with the tone adventure. The Psyclone is definitely not my next in thing, just something that is different & fulfilling. Being me, I feel it's worth investing in another one.

No comments: