Thursday, August 19, 2021

Gold covers


I've been giving this guitar some TLC & it received a new pair of pickups plus some other minor changes. This is my Gibson LP Studio Premium Plus which made it to Davis GMC somehow, 21 years ago. I remember them telling me they have just displayed the guitar before I walked into the store & bought it on the spot. No questions asked.

The main highlight here are the new pickups in this guitar; a pair of Gibson 490 humbuckers. These were originally uncovered, double black units. I purchased a pair of gold covers to match the other gold hardware of the instrument. As you can see above, these are simply add ons, no extra wax potting were done, the covers were not soldered to the base plate as well. It's a tight fit but still allows pickup height adjustments. 


The strap buttons are now a pair of Dunlops. These are significantly bigger than the original buttons equipped by the manufacturer. I encourage LP owners to do this swap as we read horror stories of how straps gave way during movements on stage resulting in countless broken Gibson headstocks. I just wish Dunlop would supplement gold screws with their gold buttons. The one depicted here is the original screw that had been polished & showing its true nature; a chrome finish. 


The truss rod cover was also replaced with a black version so it looks flushed against the headstock. If you know me by now, I dislike the cover displaying the guitar's model. It adds some expectations relating to the guitar's performance which should not be the case to begin with. A fresh set of Harmony strings this time round. 

2 comments:

Ijau D. Koceng said...

another gold story 😎

subversion.sg said...

I like gold top, gold hardware... em... not really 😅