Saturday, August 28, 2021

MOMM (7)


Yet another Music of My Moment episode this weekend, a good time to catch up with the tunes that I love. 

Suzanne Vega (Solitude Standing). I grew up with the radio more than the TV. The radio was switched on when I was at home, especially during weekends. This is one of the reasons '80s music is still alive in me till this day. One of those catchy, memorable tunes still playing in my head is Suzanne Vega's Tom's Diner. If I hear it played for that day then it stuck with me for the rest of the week or so. I was also fortunate to have a very passionate Literature teacher in school who would use song lyrics to teach poetry; Luka was one of them. So the music of my moment was kept alive & relevant in ways that enriched me more than merely being a tune on the radio.


Mayhem (Atavistic Black Disorder / Kommando). This is not a new one from the lords of black metal, it's an interesting EP consisting of original tunes & covers. Out of the three black metal tunes, one track is an unreleased number which was not included in the preceding Daemon LP - Voces Ab Alta. The remaining songs are punk covers. That's right folks, many black metal philosophies perpetuated today got their roots from punk. Discharge, Dead Kennedys, Rudimentary Peni & Ramones contributed to the musical well-being of the Mayhem chaps & these were covered brilliantly here. Ex-Mayhem members, Billy Messiah & Sven Kristiansen, made their contributions count. Thoroughly enjoyable, this one.

Wishing you a good weekend, hopefully one filled with some music re-discivery of your own.

No comments: