Saturday, August 14, 2021

PAF 59


While browsing the DiMarzio webpage, I chanced upon the PAF 59. I must admit the '59' tag got me interested. FYI, DiMarzio has a few PAF iterations; PAF (discontinued) / PAF Pro / PAF 36TH /  PAF Master / PAF 59 / PAF Joe. I went with the 59 as they are relatively low output with Alnico 5 magnets. These specs are beyond my usual inclinations & would provide some sort of push to perform beyond my comfort zone. If there's any dynamic performance to be had, after years of hearing different pickups in action in different guitars, I must say the Alnico 5 magnet is it. I bought these from TY Music; they have a fresh batch of DiMarzios in store despite other stores waiting for the much delayed shipment from the manufacturer.


The bridge version is a relatively balanced performer. In use, it has a very uniformed response especially with lots of distortion dialled in. Despite the manufacturer's EQ chart marking a slightly reduced top end response, I don't hear that happening. In fact, it sounds a little boomy in clean mode.


The neck counterpart stays true to the manufacturer's EQ specification; lots of clarity with controlled bottom end. I really like how it responds to distortion for solos especially. In clean mode, the tone sounds like a hollow body guitar; clean & crispy. 

Was at Beez's yesterday to have them installed in my Les Paul as you can see above. I thought of dropping by midweek but due to my bone marrow aspiration last Tuesday, the after-effects prevented me from sitting / standing for extended periods. I also could not manage handling the guitar; it felt excessively heavy & triggered pain at the hip bone where the aspiration was done. I don't see myself using the PAF 59s for much cleans but these are the best sounding clean tones coming from a DiMarzio that I've encountered thusfar giving the Air Norton a good run for the money. These were conceived with the vintage vibe in mind but proved (in my case) to fare equally well with contemporary settings. If you are interested please be informed that the PAF 59 is only offered in a single conductor version. 

DiMarzio: PAF 59
Availability: TY Music
List: $110 ea

EQ charts: DiMarzio

No comments: