Friday, May 27, 2022

Fletcher: 1961 - 2022


I grew up listening to Depeche Mode on the radio. The radio was my best friend because TV back then only started at 3pm. Radio was there for me early. Some of the best songs that went on air in the 80s was from Depeche Mode. In addition to their pop sensibilities, Depeche Mode has a tangent for protest, all this concocted in memorable melodies, a permanent imprint in my case - Strange Love is still playing at the back of my mind in times of loss. With the passing of Andy Fletcher announced today, it effectively meant that there is no synth expert in Depeche Mode. We don't see the remaining duo recruiting a replacement to see things through unless there is a contractual performance to be fulfilled. It is a great loss indeed, it's hitting me rather hard because Depeche Mode is still relevant to me till this day, I look forward to the band's releases but as it is, things might come to an end for them soon. 

No comments: