Tuesday, May 17, 2022

I prefer Duncans


I always annoy the heck out of Ibanez dweebs by showing them my Duncan equipped guitars. More often than not, it ended up killing any conversations about the brand. There seems to be an unwritten law stating that Ibanez guitars should feature DiMarzios, everything else is unworthy. Well, Ibanez make it a point to vary their offerings throughout the years with the defunct SZ Series & the current AZ models featuring Seymour Duncan pickups largely. There are newer models with Bare Knuckles in them as well. You have to blame the hair metal days of relentless shredding when Ibanez endorsers were seen with DiMarzios in their guitars. If you plug into a computer & your life depends on digital emulations, the pickups don't really matter. 

Anyway, my RG565 above feature a pair of Seymour Duncans; the Custom Custom (b) & Cool Rails (n). The CC is my lesser known go-to pickups. It's a hot-sounding humbucker running on weaker magnets with the default EQ not featuring a scooped default setting; absolutely my kinda tone to begin with. The rest is about tinkering & discovering what works best. The Cool Rails is basically a '59 in a single coil size with blades instead of pole pieces. Unlike a true blue '59, the Cool Rails is a little hotter & that's what I like about this pickup in the neck; the hotter output guarantees clarity.

I'm a little angry today & it intruded into my mood at home. The angry shade of orange here best reflects my temper for the day.

1 comment:

JayClones said...

Your second RG565? Nice colour!!