Thursday, May 19, 2022

MOMM (21)


I lost interest in Ghost along the way as they banked in on their stage theatrics & their music diminished in intensity. They are not a firm metal act to me, they have the essence of heaviness in them but they are steep into the hard rock side of music more than anything else. The anonymity & fiendish facade do help convince the metal fans, definitely. I pretty much ignored them after the If You Have Ghost EP, the Abba cover was impressive. The thing that intrigued me here more than a new Ghost album per se is the fact that Fredrik Akesson handled guitars here. 

Jumping into the content of Impera here, I must say that it's an acquired taste but the good thing for fans like me is that this one sees the return of that dark, sinister element that defined Ghost to begin with. Akesson's contributions here are in terms of melodic refinements, solos included. No trailblazing shred stuff here but you know those marked guitars passages are Akesson's master touches. 


If you think that cover there looks familiar, then you know what inspired that pose.

Pic: SCMP

No comments: