Sunday, December 25, 2022

EH: Snake-stortion


Folks, may I present to you, the Elektrik Head Snake-stortion, proudly conceived & manifested in Malaysia. It is an unbelievable moment for me to have someone create a pedal to my specs. 

All this while, I'd been living with countless distortion units available in the open market made to the expectations of the manufacturer so getting one is like living with consolation. In the mean time, I'm not after a high gain unit because throughout the years, I believe, distortion intensity is best handled by the amp. Pedals, to me, are supplementary units to sculpting one's tone. So in my guitar-verse, it's a potent combo of amp & pedal, there's no reliance on a single drive / distortion source. 

Throughout the communication, leading to the creation of this pedal, the following were firmed up:
  • The type of pedal. I was very specific with the pedal type; it is a multi-voiced distortion, nothing in the metal territory but with options to be more intense than the DS-1.
  • Dimensions. About the size of an average MXR / Electro Harmonix pedal, nothing bulky. Should not be too small as it needs to accommodate a battery.
  • Features. Nothing excessive, Vol, Tone & Distortion level are enough with a flick switch to access various voicings. Whatever knob types available are fine with me.
  • Colour. Whatever's available.
There were no deadlines given, I believe in giving the individual dealing with this project the flexibility to set his own timeline. This will help deter creativity restrictions. All in all, I took over possession of this pedal after three weeks. It was ready earlier but the hand-over meeting was delayed; I'm totally OK with this. I didn't set any deadline to begin with, it's supposed to be an easy-going project, not a contractual assignment. 

A very big thank you to Mr. Khian, the mastermind behind Elektrik Head & brother Eugene for being the intermediary & helping me bring the pedal over from KL. You guys made my day. It was almost an empty December for me. Cold & empty. But it wasn't. 

2 comments:

Hotaru said...

Did you named the pedal? If yes, probably theres a behind story why it was named after an animal or your favourite animal is snake. 😃 Hehe just curious though since its one of a kind pedal which only you have 👍

subversion.sg said...

Yes, I named it. The current run of EH pedals are named after ghosts. I chose to be different 😅