Sunday, August 3, 2008

Tube overdose

Do you really acquire tone nirvana upon plugging tube laden effects into a tube amp? Not quite, I tried this set up today: Ibanez Tube King + Seymour Duncan Twin Tube Mayhem + Epiphone Valve Jr head.

The TT Mayhem doesn't really need a drive-type booster to bolster its performance, I just did it to convince myself that some pedals are better left alone. What I hear from this line-up is an excess of bottom end even when my EQ for both pedals had the lower frequencies reduced.

However, I subsequently replaced the TK with a TS7 & it really made quite a difference in terms of definition; we now understand why the tubeless Tubescreamers are effective in this application.

Also, the TK's in-built noise reduction (that VOID control) unit is very effective to such an extent that my BOSS volume pedal was unnecessary in this set-up.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've always theorized that an all tube set up will be more inclined towards receiving a thumbs down than a thumbs up verdict.

Never had a chance to test the theory myself (since I don't own any tubed gears), but your entry seems to support my theory :)

subversion.sg said...

so the saying goes- too much of something is bad...

i think we should take the cue from players (eg: SRV) who beef up their tube amp with analog pedals (eg: Tubescreamer).