Saturday, August 30, 2008

Godflesh: Slavestate

I'm still digging into my 'forgotten' CD collection & came across Godflesh's Slavestate. The reason why I bought this album was due to Napalm Death; guitarist Justin Brodrick had a stint in ND before splintering into Godflesh.

This was my first Godflesh album & it's not the band's debut, it's a remix/ EP release featuring the Godflesh duo implementing some electronic beats, no human drummer was involved. This effectively triggered my interest in such music, I believe guitar/ bass players who can play along machines are the rare breed of musicians with high emotional quotient, chances are, their music would be of a certain landmark which could only be appreciated by the artistic. I guess this is why I enjoy Satriani's Engine of Creation more than the highly acclaimed Surfing with the Alien/ Flying in a Blue Dream.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

been falling into this one for many years now - into black holes sometimes, and other times freefalling from heaven.. and it can soundtrack both perfectly. great to see appreciation for this one - it's really an incredible 'album'

subversion.sg said...

it's overlooked. the industry was busy appreciating music with actual musicians at the helm, very few people take time to appreciate creativity, whatever the means.

Anonymous said...

Well thats true enough; but even within the circles Streetcleaner & Pure (which are pretty good too) have always been spoken off as the shining examples - Slavestate was always my own favourite - the complexity, yet directness of the tunes are great and some of the sounds on this - some of the guitar tones - are just great.. heavy, beautiful beasts.

subversion.sg said...

Street Cleaner has a real drummer in there, to me it's nothing new. Slavestate has a great impact in terms of intensity & song-craft with programming in the mix. I consider this a landmark effort, moving away from the conventional & still not losing control. Pure & the releases thereafter saw Godflesh dishing out a variation of the same theme, much dictated by Slavestate.