Sunday, March 1, 2009

The Addict's (Slight) Return...

The institution which my family was founded on saw a near terminal conclusion, recently. I was seldom home & had no internet access so updating this blog was impossible. As guitar was my primary distraction, I did not want it to cloud my judgment during turbulent times so this blog took a back seat but I guess that melancholy is now a former episode of my life's journey so- I'm back...

On the night of my imminent announcement to terminate my legal attachment with my partner, I took my PRS McCarty out & decided to part ways with it so giving it a last look was a natural thing to do, it was her wedding gift to me. I'm the type who would want to sever all reminders of my bitter past, I have no qualms turning something I so dearly love into a hateful token in dire need of disposal, I guess there exists inside of me this associative dissent- I hate you so I hate everything associated with you...

I have not showcased this guitar extensively in any guitar forums because I believe doing so is a snob practice. But I consider it a revered tone generator in terms of tone. I have grown accustomed to my Ibanez guitars, this McCarty proved to be a challenge in terms of playability. The guitar has stock parts because I'm happy with the display model I tried but I requested a non-flame top, one which is preferably quasi-put off in terms of looks because I don't believe in visual attraction. So there you have it, an absolutely boring gold-top McCarty...

If you can see here, the serial number was hand-written at the factory. As PRS himself is a fan of Gibson, the neck-headstock portion does not feature a rear volute.

The PRS faux-binding (body) gets my approval because it's a reflection of a genius production technique; getting that bound look with no binding strip added.

The body rear is flat & features a sole electronic cavity (sticker added on much later). There is a heated debate pertaining to that massive neck-body heel. Some say this effectively hindered upper fret access so it's no better than the Les Paul but if you actually get a chance to play a PRS, you'd know this isn't true; upper fret reaches is still superior to an average single-cut design body.

If there's anything I dislike about this guitar is the nickel-plated pickup cover; I stopped polishing it (note the contrast between the covers & the hard tail bridge) because the tarnish would be there regardless of how much polishing is done. Anyway, manufacturers who include nickel-based plating in its hardware formula have intentions for this component to manifest a 'vintage' vibe over time- which I'm not into... However, the tone produced by this pair is absolutely praise-worthy, covering vintage-type output to blistering black metal assault; quite unbelievable but that's what to expect if you have no idea what a McCarty could do.

to be continued...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh dear... i'm sorry for what has happened...

as the nelsons' song which speaks "After the rain washes away the tears And all the pain Only after the rain Can you live again"

hope your rainy days will be over soon

Anonymous said...

man,that must be hard
hope everything will be alright