Sunday, March 8, 2009

Come to Steel



Some of us feel the inherent tone coming from our strings are simply too lacklustre; we need that added brightness to make our day, especially so if we dabble in the neck pickup too much (some of us are solo-indulgent, it's all understood...). Short of trying out 'boutique' brand names, you should give the steel strings a consideration. The much added brightness is audible even before you plug your guitar into the amp. However, many of us who are accustomed to our nickel-wound set would feel a stiffer presence but it's still very playable & would not hinder your bends.

I am currently using the above brand name strings in my selected humbucker equipped guitars (currently my Ibanez RG321 & RGR08) & there's some difference to be heard when it comes to churning out those low notes for metal. This is also useful for those of us who pump up our bottom end over at the amp/ EQ pedal.

2 comments:

JayClones said...

Yeah, bro.. I felt the same stiffness when I changed to Pro Steel. Been using d'addario nickel ones. Now contemplating whether to change back to nickel. I bought 3 sets of Pro Steel. I wanna try to get use to it more. Khalid Mobin told me he used GHS Boomers (steel) for Rusty Blade Berat album

JayClones

subversion.sg said...

i like the steels for the gritty feel, especially so for churning out the lower frequency notes. currently, i'm kinda addicted to that brightness... :-)