Sunday, March 8, 2009

Brothers in ash

These are the current ash body guitars in my line-up:
  • Smash S2 Lite
  • Fender 50th Anniversary Stratocaster
The Fender is more than 7 times the price of the Smash but I wouldn't say it out-performs the latter guitar as much. A good guitar, in this case the very under-rated Smash, is an epitome of what value-for-money means. I constantly play my S2 for its superb playability as well as tone- to think those are budget default pickups in there. The only grip with it is its heavy ash body.

What I like about the ash bodies are the massive bottom end & top frequency clarity, making both guitars very reliable in terms of heavy rhythm (despite the Strat sporting a trio of single coils) & single note clarity for the shredders among us.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Sub,
Seems like you've been recommending the Smash strat. I hope you could do a full review of it on soft.

The ash and non-ash version has quite a lot of difference in tone. I tried them both but definitely like the ash one better for the bottom-end.

However, it looks completely innocent for stuff like metal...

subversion.sg said...

bro! :-)

i'll have some reviews up in the week of 16th March- the SMASH S2 Lite is one of them.

i tried both the basswood & ash versions, the former has a very tempting maple fretboard which i really like but the latter won me over in terms of tone (not that the former was bad to begin with).