Sunday, June 16, 2013

Attack Sunday

I'm still using D'Addario for my 8-string guitar; it's the only brand that would put me at ease in terms of compatibility issues.

That set went into my Schecter ATX C8. It's not evident here but my C8 is creaming off nicely :-)

I bought this Gator hardcase for another guitar but I ended up giving it to the C8 instead simply because it fits. Available at Davis GMC.

How difficult is it to play an 8-string? 
Do not begin by believing it's difficult just because it has 2 more strings. In fact, you should be delighted by the fact that you have 2 more strings which you can use to replicate ideas that you play on the higher B & G strings. I embrace the 8-string this way so there's no issue for me in terms of acceptance. In fact, I tune my thickest 8th string to G instead of the recommended F#...

Wider neck = obstacle?
Yes, the wider neck has an immediate impact to feel, one of rejection because you have to stretch you fingers to play what you'd play easily on a 6. However, if you posture your arm & hand suitably while playing, I'd say it's no real hindrance at all. I'd also recommend you play the 8 standing up, this way, your hands are suitably straightened to finger the frets more comfortably. Those of us who prefer playing the 8 sitting down often had to bend or arch the fretting hand excessively to reach the lower strings. This hinder movements hence promoting lethargy & mistakes.

3 comments:

Ijau D. Koceng said...

that gator case won't fit a les paul :)

Unknown said...

Hey sub, why tune to G instead of F#?

subversion.sg said...

Standard tuning :-)