Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Hear tone


There's too much shenanigans about not hearing the good stuff coming from electric guitars; there's excessive interference along the way- pickups, capacitor, amp, effects, cables, ... At the end of it all, it's difficult to say, 'I bought a good guitar!' because you know your electric is more about good wood per se.

You wanna hear good wood doing its stuff? Go Acoustic. I'm not an acoustic person, I won't be one any time soon but I appreciate good tone because addictive guitar playing starts there- hearing the sound of goodness. You'd argue that the strings in there influence the tone- yes. But because you are the discerning guitar player, you'd take note of tonal differences upon a re-string; you'd notice that the fundamental tones of your guitars are retained, it's a little tampered by the strings, that's about it.

I'm currently pre-occupied with hearing my acoustics react with the different string brands. Right now, Elixir is way down the list. I acknowledge the Elixir goodness vouched by so many people out there but lest we forget, there are other strings brands out there to be discovered & someone else's ear candy might be your rotten tone.

No comments: