Sunday, September 22, 2013

Gramophone: Goodbye, thank you

Gramophone shuts down for good- that's sad. But it's the sign of the times; people don't buy CDs anymore, they get their music in digital formats online, legitimately or otherwise. But that's true for pop music, it's a simple formula, everyone wants the flavour of the moment & they are in it for the moment, there's no interest in appreciation.

This is why I still buy CDs, not that I wanna sound snobbish here but it's down to the music genre & personal interest/ appreciation

I listen to loads of guitar-inclined stuff- jazz/ blues/ prog/ metal which aren't generally popular & would likely appeal to introverts. Online music providers aren't keen to offer them in digital format online because they know these stuff won't sell. Only the artists take pains to offer them for sale at their personal homepages.

I'm also into the musician & not just the music per se. I would want to read the lyrics, see pictures, discover equipment endorsements & enjoy miscellaneous linear notes recorded in the CD sleeve, not just get the music for the sake of it. These are the reasons I buy CDs; it's the joy of having something tangible in my hands & not about the ear candy exclusively. It's an experience to behold each & every time I buy music, not the convenience of clicking buttons & getting them anyway.

On another note, I am particular about digital conversion as well; most of the mp3-ready music sold online manifest bad conversion, it's down to the bit rate in use, many of them are low so that the music could be transferred quickly over cyberspace & they don't take up too much memory. The result- digital slush. The next time you listen to digital stuff, listen to the cymbals & snares closely, if these sound like flowing/ splashing water, you know you can do a better conversion job.

My favourite Gramophone outlet used to be the Parkway Parade branch. I'd make it a point to check stuff out after the session at Beez's (before he moved to the City Hall area). Most of my pop music stuff was bought here. I used to live in the east as well so this branch was the most convenient. I could spend up to an hour just looking for my music there & noting good bargains before heading home. But it looks like such episodes are now fond memories, together with that of MPH (Stamford Road) & Boders (Wheelock Place). 

PS: Pic taken from The Straits Times online edition

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm sharing your sentiments there dude. The PP branch is my usual haunt as well. We have seen CD shops closing for good over the last few years as peeps are finding digital methods well, convenient. I hope the one at Queensway is still in business, not too sure as I have not been there for a quite a long time. I stay in the East and I think for now the small shop along Beez's new place could be the place I would go to check out cds for now - now I forgotten the name of the store again! It is a store which also sells cool mags like Guitar World, Metall Hammer and also music tablature books + some posters.

subversion.sg said...

Memphis Music- Mr. Ho is making a fine effort in keeping CD buying alive. check out Roxy Records as well- same building, Level 3; they will bring in virtually anything you want. $10 down payment applies.