Monday, September 23, 2013

Sunset Monday

It had been a rotten Monday but then again, I couldn't really recall a good Monday. It had been a long while...

So naturally, the guitar cures everything & it was an hour of sunset guitar-ing. Was listening to some Greg Howe & tried to come up with a fusion lick but it was rather impossible if what one plays isn't intentional, like forcing a carrot through a key hole. 

Regardless of the problematic adventure, one thing's for sure- I was engaged from start to end. Thanks to my Subtraction S-series which features only a single pickup. This was the key to focus actually; using only the essentials to address the issue. If there were more than one pickups in there, chances are, tone-chasing would get the better of me instead of grinding some grey matter to solve the problem.

The key to solving a problem is to understand why it happened in the first place. Can't do a fusion lick? Try adding a single chromatic passing note to whatever scale you fancy & play it like you meant it. Now that's the key, not the carrot, to unlocking doors. OK so it's only one of many keys.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Yeah bro, totally agree with the fusion thing. It has to go with the natural feel and that could never feel awesomely right if forced out. Like playing blues for example: They may teach you the fundamentals to play blues in any guitar school, but it would just feel rather stiff even how well you know what to play in the context of blues. That what separates players like Freddie King, BB King, Buddy Guy (to name some greats) from the pack.

Feel is often being so compromised nowadays, given how easy you could get lessons off the bat from any Internet sources today would not helped much either. I am a rock/metal dude and love the blues and funk as well. I could play some blues and funk alright, but whenever it comes to rock or metal, it feels so home without too much worrying.

I never had a single puppy axe before but after reading your post, I feel you. Sometimes less is better. Tone is essential alright, but it may crashes on your pecking order when you practice your guitar. I mostly practice / play through a solid state modelling amp, more often than not my fingers will itch to try other settings thus abandoning the precious practice session. So, I got a VOX Amphone and play through that to practice and since it is a headphone amp, I keep some distance from my amp hehe.

Great posts bro! Keep them coming!