Sunday, April 26, 2015

D'Addario NYXL

The D'Addario brand name was on my dislike list when I first started out. The poor string life was the chief cause, they virtually deteriorated the moment one handles them. I have to say that the D'Addario string back then had the most pleasant, non-gimmick feel but lack the durability to avoid constant re-string. That was a NO for many of us.

Along the way, the D'Addario people did a re-think & personally, I'd say this brand name became more likable. The NYXL version you see here is the souped up version of their standard set which proved to be more attractive in terms of feel & more durable in terms of string life (more notable if you play daily). 

Despite the notable progress, I'm not too agreeable with the price. A set of NYXL costs more than $10, today, we have other brand names that offer a similar standard in performance which cost less. I'm a fan of D'Addario but I won't make the NYXL a standard affair for all my guitars. I do make it a point to re-visit the NYXL set occasionally because after playing them, you can feel the difference. That is the reason.

2 comments:

Emmanuel BALLANDRAS said...

So, what kind of brand do you recommand for a good Quality/Price?

subversion.sg said...

Pyramid- very under-rated, this one. Dean Markley Helix series are also worth checking out.