Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Silky smooth

April is here. A quarter of 2015 had zipped by just like that. Time flies but we always failed to see it take off, the reason why we are left behind.

As you know, I'm no fan of signature guitars but I can live with other signature products. Pickups, strings & effects units are OK with me. This is the signature Allan Holdsworth overdrive pedal (JRad) & it got me interested because it brings me closer to the master's very smooth overdrive tone. It's so silky smooth, it's indeed one of the means to getting good legatto phrasings done. We can't fully emulate AH's tone for a simple reason; we are not AH. We might have access to his instruments & other gear but we need to be the man to sound like the man. That aside, I like what this pedal has to offer, a very smooth drive voicing, very removed from the rock front. It is rather self-sufficient in terms of gain structure as it features a booster function on board. This means the pedal retains the drive voicing while manifesting increased saturation. Perhaps the master himself can convince you of some performance notes:


No comments: