Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Remembering my ex... (Part 4)

Here's one of the tube amps I used to own; it's a 5W Ibanez ValBee, 100% tube performer sporting a 12AX7 (preamp) & 6L6GC. It's a simple amp to use & a great avenue for those of us who wish to own a tube tone without breaking the piggy.

When I bought this amp, I let the default, Chinese tubes, be. However, as I continue to play it on a regular basis, my ears were telling me there's something amiss about the amp's tonal manifestation, I desecrated the original pre-amp tube & had an Electro Harmonix replacement installed; the tonal improvement was rather marked at upper volume settings.

Why did I let it go? I have a soft spot for friends who are genuinely interested in the products I revere; there was a good offer made & I agreed to let it go for even lesser. Also, the amp was not quite able to pull off the drive intensity which would serve my (black) metal needs; adding pedals to make things happen is just not my way of conjuring Lucifer to deliver my dark arts...

4 comments:

ryanfoo said...

any amp wif good drive you would recommend and not bust my pockets as well? thanks sub

subversion.sg said...

that depends on what you are after:

*solid state/ tube?

*stack/ combo?

Anonymous said...

hi, im kind of interested in your answer too sub, as for me im after a tube amp, combo or mini half stack.

subversion.sg said...

there are many drive types to appease us, guitar dweebs. some of us who are into heavy music, would dislike amps with light drive applications, vice-versa.

on issues pertaining to tube preferences, trust your ears; if you hear some appeal from tube amps, do invest in them but if you think these aren't for you, then steer clear.

this is why i am with anything that gives off good tone, regardless of the make/ brand name.