Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Rally: Neosound


I was at Standard Value recently, managed to try the above Rally Neosound model...

As evident in the pic above, the Neosound is a Gibson ES-335 clone at a fraction of the price. Our first impression of this guitar would naturally be that of dislike as it's a product riding on the acclaim of another well known model. However, the more sensible among us would judge this instrument by virtue of its QC/ tonal manifestation & ignore the unexplored brand name (Rally? Who the heck plays Rally?).

The guitar is a very well-made instrument per se, far surpassing other ES-335 clones in the market out there. I would say it's rather flawless in this aspect save for some uneven finish at the outlines of the F-holes but you need close scrutiny to detect this blemish.

In the playability department, the Neosound's neck profile remains inviting to both the traditional as well as the proto-shredders alike. In fact, the finish here is organic unlike many other budget models that are often blighted by a thick, synthetic lacquer overcoat.

Tone-wise, the equally uncelebrated 2H humbuckers in this guitar did well in both clean & driven (I did a 'heavy' take as well) modes; they simply sound very right & engaging if we lack the funds to replace them for some more renowned brand names (I would keep them should I own this guitar). The Neosound is indeed highly recommended for players looking for a praise-worthy instrument without costing them an arm/ leg/ kidney.

Rally Neosound
List: $390
Avaialble @ Standard Value

PS: Thanks Mike & co. for letting me put this guitar through the rigors of instrument testing

PPS: Hmm... my darling is considering getting this superb instrument for me... :-)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Our first impression of this guitar would naturally be that of dislike as it's a product riding on the acclaim of another well known model."

Isn't this the case with 90% of the guitars in the market? Not a reason to dislike a guitar in my opinion...

subversion.sg said...

that's what happens when something lives in the shadow of reverence... we should only dislike the instrument if it manifests shoddiness which is an insult to precious wood. anyway, i bought the Neosound- the Jr version :-)

Simon said...

I bought a tobacco sunburst rally neosound around three years ago, simply because I saw one on ebay that was a factory second (a few slight blemishes, which I actaully really like, because they add some character). Anyhow, it was exceptionally cheap at around 150 british pounds..
I love this guitar!!!! I have toured extensively with it and recorded with it and I even bought a second last year to use for alternative tunings at shows...
I've got it paired with a Vox AD50vt amp. You can hear and see it in action on my new album and in all my videos here:
http://www.onlymoses.com/shop

Awesome guitar!!!!!!