Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Ibanez: RG8570

Yes, the J Custom is made available here in the mean time, but in a very limited quantity. The RG8570 you see above is the only model currently available (limited finish options as well) through an authorised distributor, I managed to try it last week.

It’s beyond doubt the guitar is a wonderful piece of material craftsmanship. The feel of the neck in particular is very inviting; it’s a hybrid of freshness & that typical broken-in, relic touch. It’s definitely shred-worthy as I’ve discovered.

The pickups on board are DiMarzios, a trio of Tone Zone (B), True Velvet (M) & Air Norton (N) would attend to your tonal needs. Under loads of distortion, these sustain very well & manifest that typical creamy DiMarzio voicing we love to hear.

There’s this bit of alchemy that makes the J Custom different from the Prestige range. It’s attributable to the overall feel & tone of the instrument as you play it in your hands. The asking price of this guitar is steep: $3,599.00 If you are into aristocratic possessions, the RG8570 will serve you well. If you are into some charming overdriven tones, this one has plenty as well.

Personal reflections
I respect the J Custom series but its features are excessive in terms of looks, I don’t value instruments this way. I dislike vine inlays in any manifestations, I prefer boring dots instead. I also do not favour the DiMarzio voicings; don’t get me wrong- I own some instruments with these pickups on board but I guess they are not ear candy for me. Right now, the J Custom is quite the least desireable guitar on my list…

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi sub. sent u an SMS but didn't receive a reply. did u change your number? my friend is gonna go into electric guitar and he's been learning electric guitar. he may need some advice. is it ok if he seeks advice from u? I'm jaron, if u still rmb me.

Anonymous said...

I mean, he's been learning acoustic guitar

subversion.sg said...

hi bro- glad you keep in touch here!!
my handphone was recently destroyed along with the contact list, the replacement unit has no previous records, so there you go...

no probs bro- if it's within my means, i'd be glad to assist :-)

Anonymous said...

oh ok. he has been thinking of getting a electric that can achieve a good tone when on distortion and clean. he's not really a metal dude.

Is it possible that he gets a guitar with two humbuckers and no single coils? I've read that humbuckers do have single coil mode, but pulling up the volume pot. will they work well when playing clean?

subversion.sg said...

it's quite a challenge getting a humbucking guitar which sounds immaculate both clean & driven; nothing beats single coils clean...

my take here would be to acquire ANY guitar which he likes, pertaining to tone. as far as humbuckers are concerned, the Duncan/ DiMarzio selections would be great, as such, he'd do well to consider the Edwards brand name or Ibanez with DiMarzios on board. of course, getting a guitar first then proceeding with pickup swaps subsequently would be great as well.

not all guitars are equipped with push-pull switches to activate the single coils of a humbucking pickup. if the guitar in question does dot feature such switching option, it could be installed (as i've done with many of my guitars here) at a small fee.