Sunday, September 13, 2009

LTD M-53: Mine!!

I truly believe in the (LTD) M-53. It's a good guitar through & through. Despite its entry-level status, I enjoyed what it has to offer in terms of playability & tone. I am also not one to cast aside a good guitar regardless of its make.

The pickups on board the M-53, nevermind their in-house nature, are brilliant to say the least. I can't rule out the fact that my amps played a significant role in making them sound above average; the single coil units, in particular. I seldom retain factory-default pickups but these gems are for keeps. Definitely.

The manufacturer also included a bevelled (as arrowed in pic) section at the bolt-on area which promotes upper fret access but not markedly. I believe that the fretting hand posture does not benefit from such allowance as much as having a real recessed area pertaining to the block structure itself. Nevertheless, the guitar per se is a wonderful production piece.

All in all, the M-53 is my 36th addition to the family & a lovely one indeed. It's very inviting feel & tone-wise. It is proof enough that good instruments don't cost us a bomb these days, I can't say this was true a decade or so ago.

PS: Thanks to Janet & co. (Davis GMC) for letting me have a go at this guitar (& enduring my eccentricities while doing so)

PPS: Thank you darling for the excellent consideration. Every time I play this one, I have you in mind closer than ever. I can't thank you enough... :-)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

The maple fingerboard looks inviting. I suppose it has a bright-sounding tone? Nice catch.
~1mband~

subversion.sg said...

yes, i am particularly attracted to maple fretboards- makes the neck pickup more defined in distortion mode.

Anonymous said...

dear subby - thanks for all the posts - been following your blog for close to 2 years, in my opinion one of the best guitar blogs even when compared the giants out there like stratoblogster and guitarnoize. Simplistic yet humble - thanks for 2 years of great rockin'!

Anonymous said...

Sub, thanks for all the insights. Keep rocking, and keep blogging!
=)
~1mband~

subversion.sg said...

my dear friend, thanks for the close watch... appreciate your following, really do :-)

the aim of my entries here is to share, first & foremost. IMO there's educational value by doing so, that's what i'm into...