Monday, September 5, 2011

Ibanez: Bottom booster

So the Jet Driver was not the only pedal I bought that day, the Ibanez Bottom Booster (BB9- new for 2011) was also another taker. I have no use for a bottom end/ lower frequency booster because the tones I hear coming out from my amps contain a healthy fat end mix; since I do not dial up my treble, I have no need for lower frequency reinforcements. However, because I was given the opportunity to try this pedal, turning the tone knob way up to accentuate treble, in full knowledge that the pedal wasn't conceived to address this application exclusively, yielded an interesting outcome for us players who are wary of ill definition when it comes to clean boosting per se. The other factor accounting for this this result was the GAIN knob, it's there to check drive grit (more prominent when the pedal is in use with an already overdriven amp/ milder distortion pedals); if you are a distortion purist, you'd appreciate its inclusion.

The other reason why I bought this pedal was because it does some good for single coil tones- it adds much beef if you are predominantly using your bridge pickup. In this light, the BB9 works like Seymour Duncan's pickup booster. If you wish to simply use this pedal for clean boosting without much bass emphasis, then you need to look elsewhere. The bass highlight will always be present regardless if you max-out the treble.

PS: Thanks to bro Faizal @ Swee Lee's BB showroom for the assistance- much appreciated!

2 comments:

Loki said...

True bypass as well bro?

P.S. I love that pikachu!!

subversion.sg said...

yes, sir! both the 2011 ibanez pedals feature s true bypass circuit :-)