Sunday, January 13, 2013

The yellow fellow (2)

This was what happened to my Jackson DKMGT- cracks aplenty. It started with the ferrules at the tune-o-matic type bridge which contained the action adjustment studs. I couldn't raise the studs there due to extreme corrosion so out came a pair of pliers. The idea was to yank the studs out but it snapped, the pliers fell onto the body & dented it. Damage done, so I went for broke & chiseled out the bridge studs ferrules & that resulted in cracks similar to the ones you see above. However, the ones shown here are the string ball-end ferrules located at the body's flip-side. Those were showing signs of corrosion as well so out they went. I would've shown the broken stud piece here but that was thrown out of the window out of sheer frustration.

But everything's cured as seen above; all cracks were filled, leveled & the surface finished professionally.

Ditto the front side- restored to its glorious state. I had this done at a car garage- yes, you read that right, car garage. All the instrument shops & chaps doing air-brush restoration gave me unappealing quotes, the winner came from a friend who showed me his refinished guitar body & I was impressed with the workmanship- beyond my expectations for a non-instrument business entity but if you are professional, the subject doesn't matter.

Bro Fabian- kudos!

7 comments:

Godsmen said...

Do you find any difference to the sound? The before and after?

subversion.sg said...

No, everything's as before :-)

jeremyrozario said...

how much did this cost you?

subversion.sg said...

less than $100...

Bernard said...

hi bro, do u hv the contact of the person who did the paintjob ?

Bernard said...

will be gd as i am planning a paint proj as well.thanks

subversion.sg said...

I'm heading there Saturday morning 31-8-'13. You wanna come?