Saturday, July 20, 2013

Assembly project (3): The halt

This was an awful start; I spent the whole morning putting this together, almost had everything done then this had to happen. Something was amiss when I had the bridge in the cavity because the block wouldn't line up with the spring claw so one of the whammy springs was in contact with the body instead of traveling straight to the claw. Upon a closer look (depicted above), the cavity was actually slanted. In this case you can see how it's not parallel to the ruler. Bummer. 

This project takes a back seat while I convert it into a fixed bridge model instead.

4 comments:

LG said...

Sub, can share where did you get this body from? Can help fellow guitar project enthusiast to look out for issues like these.

LG

subversion.sg said...

It's a B-grade, I totally know what I am in for :-) no love lost here.

Bernard said...

hi sub
hw are u planning to convert it to a hardtail?

perhaps filling up the cavity route with a wood block?

I have a body with the same problem. I am using a hipshot wood adaptor to fill it up. and then glue it up with epoxy.

subversion.sg said...

hey bro :-) yes, i'm onto that, filling the cavity with blocks- as many as possible & filling the gaps with wood filler/ putty. I'm giving it more mass for sure. previously, with the bridge assembly in there, it was still lighter than the neck so neck dive happened & that shouldn't be the case- i'm not trying to put together an SG... he he.