Monday, July 8, 2013

Re-string: Gibson LP BFG

I had some time yesterday prior to the lunch out, gave my BFG a re-string. I consider this an LPJ predecessor. Assuming you understand what the LPJ has to offer in terms of instrument finish, the BFG was everything LPJ is now. But I believe you won't buy the BFG based on the following accounts...

There wasn't a particular high standard when it comes to wood quality. The pocked marked wood surface seen above & jagged edges were acceptable.

Frayed joint edges were also acceptable. There were many 'hairy' instances on this guitar which would induce a splinter episode if you aren't too careful with handling.

Seriously, 'missing' bits from the flame top. 

However, the LPJ of today are way ahead in terms of the physical respect of the guitar. What you see here in the BFG are absent in the LPJ. It seems that there is this realization that people are not agreeable with quasi-trash, regardless of the revered brand name. But the BFG was conceived to manifest such raw manifestation which many players failed to understand & embrace. I bought one knowing all this was part of the 'package' but more importantly, it's my first exposure to a gloss-free Gibson neck & I some how liked it (still liking it) better than the traditional lacquered Gibson neck. Also, the sharper, more defined overall tone won me over.

No comments: