Friday, July 5, 2013

Standards

This is a follow up of last weekend's activity- playing my Gibson Standards. Both of them do not hold true to their original specs; the Les Paul had a set of locking tuners (GOTOH Magnum Lock) in there which improved tuning stability quite markedly, while the SG had the pickups swapped out to Seymour Duncans. Despite the industry's recognition of them being flagships of their respective series, I don't deem them special. I don't quite fancy Gibson in terms of tone & playability in the first place, maybe that's the reason why I don't click with them as well as my other guitars. However, I make it a point to own Gibsons as a mark of respect to the craftsmanship & playing these 'difficult' guitars forces me to re-evaluate my technicalities & playing approach.

No comments: