Thursday, December 27, 2018

Burly


Re-stringing continues. Might as well since I have the time, before work beckons. This one- Ibanez S771 with that poplar burl top which is a mere laminate cap. If you wish to invest in an instrument with a very thin laminate top, do consider a gloss finish unlike this one, which is satin-finished. The reason- it will start to flake off over time.


A little upgrade done- String Saver saddles. If you are interested in a set, do check the string spacing before purchase. It's available in standard & Fender spacing. I really thought an Ibanez required the standard spacing version, then again I should have measured before heading to the store & not make convenient assumptions. In fact. many of the fixed bridges in Ibanez instruments are actually sporting a Fender/ Trembucker string spacing. 


Final pack of Darco 9s for this guitar.


I've been using Darcos for some time now (but not on a frequent basis) & it's only this time that I felt a difference. Maybe it's the relative freshness of the strings that influenced my touch but the Darco set features a slightly thicker B-string. The .0115 is not standard in a set of 9s, it's from the 9.5 set & I'm beginning to prefer the feel of it. 


The pickups in this one: Perpetual Burn (b)/ Quarter Pound Staggered (m)/ Jazz (n). The PB is a scorcher, very distortion inclined but not as boomy for the metal mongers. It'd probably favour the black metal camp because here, the brand of metal is not bottom end reliant. I should be paying more attention to the QP in future considerations because it's a mean single coil for angry people's music- my type of pickup. 

3 comments:

ohmytian said...

Hello,

I made the newbie mistake of buying a non-F when I should be using the F-spaced pickups. And I even have 2 sets of them; 2 pairs of neck/bridge. I was recommended to continue using them.

My pickups are still unused at the moment. Should I carry on using them or sell/get the F-spaced pickups instead?

subversion.sg said...

Hello my friend, thanks for dropping by :)

The issue with string spacing is only acute when you scrutinize it under recording standards. There's nothing wrong with the pickup itself, when you have it installed in your guitar, there's still sound coming out from the amp, rest assured about that. Recording engineers will tell you that misaligned guitar strings-pickup pole pieces is like holding a misplaced microphone at the mouth- it's off but it still works. To the discerning ears, this anomaly will be heard but when you play loud/ with lots of distortion/overdrive, the difference is negligible.

At my end, knowing what to instal in which guitar is a sign of being attuned to one's gear. It's making that little bit of effort to show awareness :-)

ohmytian said...

Thanks for the advice. I guess I should just go ahead and use them. I should have phrased my question properly; I knew there will still be sound but I don't know how much misalignment is tolerated before it becomes unacceptable. But you have answered my question anyway.

The perfectionist in me is still screaming; I contemplated buying a non-F spaced guitar just so the strings are aligned. I have even tried looking for aftermarket floyd rose tremolo which are made with the thinner string spacing.

And while looking for non-F spaced guitars between $500-1000, I realised that I can find guitars where the strings do not align with the pickup pole pieces nicely; either the manufacturer/assembly line made the same rookie mistake of not using the correct pickup, or the positioning of the pickup mounts were not drilled with precision. Whatever the case, I now know what to look out for the next time I am getting a new guitar or pickups.