Sunday, August 17, 2014

PRS: S2 SC250 Singlecut (owner's take- Part 1)

My initial encounter with the S2 was handling the Custom 24 at the store. I was ready to be a little bothered by PRS' cost-cutting measures in order for them to offer the entire range of instruments at a more affordable price. That didn't happen. What happened was my understanding of the fact that PRS did way more for their core range to justify the exorbitant price tags so what they did with the S2s is an exercise in competence. The right amount of treatment & finishing were given to these instruments so that nothing extras would contribute to costs. So in hand, the typical S2 model will not be giving you that upper end shiver but an embrace of fine existence- you'd feel the goodness of a PRS. So that encounter was a good pre-empt, I know the S2 is something I want & having a personal encounter with one justified my beliefs. It's a matter of selection.

Back then, there was no Singlecut offered. The only S2 with a single cutaway outline was the Starla but the Bigsby-type whammy was unnecessary so my plan to acquire an S2 was put on ice. Fast forward Fall 2013- PRS announced 2 more models for the S2 fans- the Custom 22 & the Singlecut. That got me flipping so it's a matter of time since I already communicated my plans to the good people of Davis GMC. A few shipments later, the SC250 made it here & I just have to try one (with a very high probability of acquisition). 

The last time I bought a PRS was more than a decade ago. I was expecting a vast difference in standards between my McCarty & this SC250 but no stark differences were observed. By this, I was referring to revisions in hardware, construction philosophy & tone but PRS kept what worked for them. This successful formula was perpetuated so nothing was fixed if it wasn't broken before. The SC250 in question was thrilling in every aspect despite a very fundamental core line feature being excluded- it wasn't curved top. The finish & fitting is immaculate as ever & the instrument is lightweight, staying true to PRS' belief that weight plays an integral part in tone generation. 

OK, so from this pic you'd notice the 'strange' pickups in there but that's for another episode.

No comments: