Saturday, January 14, 2023

MOMM (35)


Weekend fodder.

Jeff Beck: Wired
While many cited Blow By Blow as the quintessential Jeff Beck solo exploit, I personally prefer Wired. Although these releases were a year apart, Wired sounded like Beck moving on with an established identity. More importantly, there was no reliance on a tear jerker (Cause We've Ended as Lovers), the spontaneity, livery & chemistry was absolutely magical. Head for Backstage Pass - firm favourite.

Celtic Frost: Parched with Thirst am I & Dying
I have a love - hate affair with Celtic Frost's music. I got into them late & quite dislike the fuzzy guitar tones. Back then I was heavily into death metal & this kind of doom, down tempo deviation didn't sit well with me. I originally heard the materials in this compilation through the cassette tape format. Someone was circulating it in school & by the time it got to me, others were distracted by Countdown to Extinction (Megadeth). I clearly remember liking the two opening tracks here & the affinity still sticks today.

No comments: