Thursday, June 12, 2008

Custom's random check...



It's rather normal for fans to wear their band's t-shirt as a gesture of affiliation; it's absolutely harmless but be prepared to be scrutinized if your favourite band has a certain inclination for the perverse... Was the band Carcass affiliated to morbid death as its name implies?

Anyway, I got stopped at the customs yesterday upon arrival here because they were conducting a 'random' check but reading between the lines, I knew I was stopped because of my t-shirt; scores of caucasions with tattoos on their arms & gentlemen in suits who were very mafia-like, were not subject of this check. They made me open both my knapsack & sling bags asking me the nature of certain contents, I complied & told them what they were: soiled underwear, underarm powder, spare diapers, packets of crackers, etc. The one that got to me most was when I was quizzed the contents of a plastic container which was chocolate milk powder for my baby.

"It's chocolate milk powder for my baby there, behind the glass panel," I duly answered, pointing to the agitated spouse & daughter but the officer didn't even turn around to confirm. This was disrespectful because I was asked to account for an item but you didn't even look when I was explaining...

I understand the fine safety procedures currently in place after the escape of a certain terrorist here but is it one totally devoid of apathy? Singapore Customs: I understand your protocols but I have no obligaitons to like them.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is just... appalling.

If the modern world can look beyond the permanent colours of our skin, why isit then that what one puts on becomes a factor in how others judge him?

I get unnecessary and undesirable comments for having piercings on my ears...

subversion.sg said...

despite the education, today's society is still very much a manifestation of To Kill A Mockingbird.