Monday, June 9, 2008

ESP: Eclipse II FM

I took too long to buy an ESP, really. After much procrastination, I went with the Eclipse II sporting a pair of EMG pickups when clearly, I am not a fan of the singlecut body design as well as active pickups. I also specifically chose a satin finish body/ neck.

As the Eclipse isn't a Les Paul clone per se, the guitar in whole, has more likeable attributes (to me) so the 'restrictive' body outline was disregarded. The tone in general is a typical EMG voicing; overpowering in drive mode, quasi-uninspiring when played clean but I didn't buy this guitar to emulate Fender's sparkling cleans.

If you look forward to acquire this guitar because you want a non-Gibson Les Paul alternative, then you're wasting money. It feels quite removed from the typical Les Paul chunk, notably due to its much thinner body & a different neck profile; more Fender-like dare I say. Same goes for the tone.


The Eclipse II is equipped with Sperzel locking tuners & I find this very important in checking tuning stability; throughout my years of playing, I noted that guitars with a non-straight nut-to-machine head travel are less reliable when it comes to tuning retention, even with a well-cut/ lubricated nut. Locking tuners definitely help in this department & having the Sperzels here is a wise move by ESP.

I also applaud the rib-cage chamfering which promotes a better (human) body to (guitar) body fit. The edges of the Les Paul & Telecaster bodies (typically) would dig into the player over prolonged play; some of us can adapt to this discomfort, but for the rest of us who can't, this inclusion is a godsend.

This guitar is proof enought that, if considerations are given to a well-made guitar, despite its outline, it would be a sheer attraction.

2 comments:

su wei said...

where do you usually buy eap guitar at ? or where got sell esp guitar ? :)

subversion.sg said...

hi :-)

i usually get them from Davis GMC (do click the link on the left column).