Thursday, June 19, 2008

The environmental guitarist

I own many guitars. As I play them often, there is a need to replace the deteriorated strings which entail the generation of much paper waste in the form of unwanted guitar strings packaging/ envelopes. The quantity of waste you see above is about a third of what I discard almost every month. I make it a point to accumulate these recyclable trash & bring them to my workplace where a recycle bin is ready for the taking.

I urge you to do likewise. Many town councils in our neighbourhood as well as the commercial organizations today are making the effort to promote environmental awareness. They provide collection bins for recyclable materials within our reach. It's only fitting that we make an effort to show that guitar enthusiasts like us do care about the environment.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am seriously considering the use of a battery powered practice amp, so as to cut down on electricity from my mains. =)

subversion.sg said...

that's a thought...

but as the batteries drain, tone (especially driven tone) would be compromised.

Anonymous said...

That's true.

I guess when it comes to environmental issues, certain favoured perks gets compromised along the way, and people become reluctant to make that "correct" choice eg shark's fin soup.

The cycle is so vicious...

subversion.sg said...

that's right. for people who can see the consequences, their ethics would breed guilt & the need to do something right would entail. those who don't care are too busy thinking of themselves or are emotionally handicapped. in this day & age, the people who are truly ignorant of environmental issues are diminishing because of education. but it seems education & awareness can't save the world...