Sunday, June 1, 2008

Dava: Grip Tip pick

To me, the type of pick I hold, greatly determines my playing capacity; it's about how comfortable I am with it, it's also about how the pick is able to adapt to my playing eccentrities.

Pictured above is one of the many Dava picks available, this one in particular is the Grip Tip version; a plastic unit with synthetic rubber overcoat. The groove (lines) are there to promote grip, the circular motiffs as well as the 'DAVA' brand name are rubberless surfaces to promote grip as well.

So what's in it for you considering it's just another piece of expandable plastic, yes? If you look at the above pic showing the side profile, the item had been scooped in the middle portion to enhance different feel. You are essentially holding a pick which gives you a soft/ med/ hard attack depending on the portion you apply pressure most. Sounds like a workable selling point but that's what you get in use.

Verdict:

  • the grip factor is assured, the grooves & plastic/ rubber surfaces work in tendem to keep the item in place, in fact, it hardly moved/ slipped while I was holding it
  • the item in whole, would appeal to players who prefer thin picks. If you dislike the Dunlop Stubby monstrosity (no offence, it's my current fav), this one has enough classy appeal

PS: Thank you Davis Guitar for the complementary unit.

No comments: