Sunday, July 25, 2010

What's the point?

I was talking to a friend today who owns the GT-10. He likes it very much & I could see the enthusiasm every time the opportunity arises to share his experience & opinion on the subject FX unit.

He then told me he'd like to own MESA's Dual Rectifier amp which would be paired with the GT-10. I asked if he'd run the GT-10 through the amp's clean channel, the answer was: Of course.

What's the point of spending good money on a renowned amplifier, only to utilize its clean channel? Many players can't seem to accept the fact that big name amps are good stand-alone units; they don't require a multi-FX supplement to manifest good tones. If one wishes to provide good amplification for one's favourite multi-FX unit/ effects pedals wouldn't it be more practical to just invest in a superb clean channel, say from a tube head? Hmm...

8 comments:

ashley said...

Simple fact, but hard to accept for some... hmmm

Anonymous said...

Misconception perhaps? e.g. Petrucci using effects/racks and still plug them into Mesa stacks?

Fitch

Anonymous said...

the point is: he is rich, or, he got too much money to spend. hahaha.

idl3mind said...

I've always been a fan of simply guitar straight into amp. I do plug in my multifx unit into the fx loop though if i ever need flange/chrous/echo. If I ever need reverb, I utilize the amp's built-in reverb. If I'm recording, I add fx in the recording rig and just use guitar-to-amp. the only pedal you'll ever see between my guitar and amp will be my wah pedal or my modded boss ds-1 pedal.

subversion.sg said...

when we read the pros using both renowned amp & effects, we are not aware that they have a comprehemsive switching system to enjoy both tone avenues...

Anonymous said...

hey there. the pic u used is that of the triple rectifier.

and, i agree with wat you put across :D

Anonymous said...

With all due respect sub, I think your posts are getting a little bit hostile towards people who are less knowledgeable than you are.

I really like reading what you had to share with your vast experience in this field.

Maybe us less talented people made you lose your patience... Or maybe I need to learn to handle sarcasm better =)

subversion.sg said...

triple rec, eh? then google couldn't give me the amp i was looking for :-) the fact that i don't quite care if it's the right MESA up there has all the implications :-)

no i'm not hostile towards anyone of any knowledge capacity- the reason i address all sorts of queries here, nothing to hide :-)

sometimes i feel i'm trying to help out by putting forth some bona fide opinion, a little fiery at times but all in good faith. however it's human nature that people tend to be stubborn & wouldn't sway from what they have firmly embraced. i'm ok with them really, just that they could have at least listened. especially the older people (like i'm that young...).